7.18.2014

From PA to CA...

This past February our friend, Jamie invited our family to come for a week this summer, to Mt. Gilead Bible Camp in Sebastopol, CA. He is the new summer camp director and wanted me to photograph a week of summer camp as well as have Eric and I be intercessors for the campers and staff members. After praying about it, we knew it would be a great opportunity for us to travel with our young family. Camp life...who doesn't love it?

So, on July 4th we began an unforgettable journey across the United States of America. The boys were giddy as the plane took off the ground and were stuck to the window watching everything get smaller and smaller until only the clouds were in view. Meanwhile, Hadassah was not feeling the excitement of flying. She fussed. She wailed. Flailed. Ran up and down the aisles. Kicked the seat in front of her. Refused to sleep. Not even for one millisecond. Yup, we were "that" family. I shall now extend abundant grace to young families when I am flying without my tribe. It was amazing how many "darts" seemed to be hurled at us. What could we do? Stuck in this tube for almost four hours at a time, (four flights total there and back) we tried everything we could to make her more comfortable to no avail. Well, like He always does, Jesus helped us to live and not die and after what seemed like an eternity, we touched down on the west coast. Let the fun begin!

The first two nights, we stayed at a hotel because the camp was full over the weekend. On Saturday, Jamie and his family and the camp speaker for the week, Steve and his wife, went to Dillon Beach. Hello gorgeous! Breath taking view of the Pacific Ocean.

Then the next morning, we made the trek up the mountain to camp. Ahhh, the smell of Redwood trees. Breathe in deep. Lover of my soul, come and speak to me here in this place. My memories of camp are so special for me. Both as a camper and as a camp counselor. It's where the LORD spoke many things to my heart regarding my future and the direction I should take. I saw kids' lives forever changed. Grow. Make good decisions and not so good ones. I met some of my favorite people and have remained in close connection with many of them today. Camp is a beloved happy place for me. And now my family was with me. Could it get any better? 

It was high school week, so the energy was high and the cell phones were turned off. We had their full attention. Two chapel sessions a day, lots of fun/chaotic activities and plenty of time for hanging out, our kids were experiencing camp life to the fullest. Eric and I took turns participating in events, capturing photos, and parenting. Camp looks a lot different when you have three littles to take care of. Malakai overcame his fear and climbed the rock wall and went down the zip line for the first time. Both experiences are ones he can't stop talking about. And well...neither can I. When you watch your child look at something that he could easily just say "forget it, it's too hard/scary" and walk away from, but instead overcome that fear and just go for it, your heart swells with joy! I had this feeling several times throughout our trip. Isaac went down the zip line too...just three and a half years old. Jumped right in, no looking back. My boys...world changers!

So, here is a little window into our family's camp experience. I will post soon more photos of the actual week of camp. It truly was unforgettable and we are so thankful that the five of us got to experience this together....even the plane ride...ah, the memories.



























































No comments:

Post a Comment