1.12.2008

Life Beyond Photography

I realize it's been awhile since I gave you any updates on our adoption journey...let me fill you in. On January 5th, Eric and I completed the adoption educational training class which fulfilled our final adoption requirement. We met several other couples who are on similar yet different journeys of building a family through adoption. Our hearts were so encouraged by just simply being with people who fully understand our years of heartache and our joy of anticipation as we dream about what is in store for us in the months ahead.

In a few short days, our profile will become available for potential birth mothers to look at and pour over as they make the tough decision of who are the right adoptive parents for their child. Eric and I worked very hard on this profile which consists of 12 pages telling the story of lives, who we are, where we live, what we like to do, our families, etc. It is crazy to think that this little profile will be a major deciding factor in which child we will bring home to join our family.

The LORD has given us great peace in this process. There really is nothing to fear. He has already hand-picked our son or daughter for us so whether it takes 3 months, 6 months, or a year, we believe His timing is perfect. So while we wait, we prepare for the day we may receive a phone call that their is a child waiting for us! It is not like a pregnancy where you know you have 9 months. In an instant our lives are going to change! That is stretching to anyone's flexibility.

As we wait, we are filled with hope and excitement. This past week, we painted our little nursery "Bicycle Yellow"! Eric (who HATES to paint) thought it would be a fun project for us, to build our faith and let the reality sink in that a little person is going to sleep in that room! I happened to look in the newspaper's Bargain Counter (which I don't think I have ever done) to see if anyone was selling "baby stuff". Well, talk about hitting the jack pot! The LORD hooked me up with a crib, changing table, pack n play, stroller and car seat! All of them are like brand new for incredible prices. I have to admit I felt foolish driving down the road with Gideon and an empty car seat in the back of my car! We even picked out a glider rocking chair that my parents want to give us as a gift. Seems like we have everything but the baby...and that will come soon.

Maybe it's silly that we got our little nest ready ahead of time, but maybe it's just the LORD preparing us for something that is right around the corner. We just felt that there was grace to do it and so we went for it. I know that once May hits, I have weddings galore until the fall. Each wedding I book, I think, "Oh my goodness, I might be a mommy by then!" I keep asking the LORD, "Do I put on the brakes with Radiant Images and slow down to prepare for motherhood?" And He keeps telling me, "Just keep doing the thing you love-photographing moments in time, meeting new people and serving me. I will tell you when to transition." So...as we wait, Radiant Images continues to grow...and grow...and grow.

To those of you who have used my services over the last 2 years, thank you for investing in my photography. You have changed my life forever and my hope is that I have changed yours too. I am still amazed at how the LORD is connecting me to so many of you. He really loves us. He knows that we need each other and He knows that we need Him. Eric and I are anticipating great joy as we enter 2008. I will continue to share our progress in adoption with you as we move forward. In the meantime, keep praying for Baby Martin...we will meet him or her soon!