2.17.2010

The Adoption Ending

It has been a roller coaster of emotions and events for our family the past three weeks. We heard on Monday morning that the birth mother was going into the hospital with strong contractions and were told to get our bags packed to head down to Virginia to meet our daughter on Wednesday. The birth mother wanted us to know that she was headed to the hospital and was asking when we would arrive. She wanted us there and we wanted so badly to be there. We were so overjoyed! So we began packing and getting our calendars cleared once again for a trip that we weren't sure how long would be.

On Tuesday afternoon we got another phone call. This one would change the course of our family's history yet again. The little girl was born at 2am on Tuesday morning, beautiful and healthy. When her birth mother saw her, she had a change of heart and decided she wanted to parent after all. That's all it takes. A single word. No. And we are left to pick up the pieces of our very broken hearts. She has the right to change her mind and we have no rights at all, but to pray for the best to come about of this situation. We firmly believed that this little girl was to be a part of our family. We named her together with her birth mother. We had prepared a place for her in our home. We had diapers, clothes, car seat, and pack-n-play ready to go, but they will remain empty. At least, for now. We are hurting very deeply, but we also are trusting God to heal us and show us His great mercy and love during this time.

Our emotions are very raw. Our caseworker is on vacation this week and when she returns, we will be meeting with her for further counsel. Our family profile will be available on the waiting list for other birth mothers to view. We had some close friends pray for us yesterday and they encouraged us that the battle belongs to the LORD. We fought for this baby and we release her to God's immeasurable grace knowing that the situation she will be raised in seems less than ideal to us.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways", declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

This has been our life verse since the first day of our marriage and it is engraved in our wedding bands. It has a whole new meaning now. Thank you for all of your prayers. We have felt them the entire way through this journey. I told the Virginia caseworker that we had a whole army behind us praying for this situation. We have not been defeated, but the victory looks a whole lot different than we were anticipating.

7 comments:

  1. Eric and Regina,
    I'm so sorry... I know it is a little different but I can imagine that the pain would be similar to our letting go of Rebekah. You have hopes and dreams and plans and all of the sudden it all changes. I am so sorry. I can tell you though that God can carry you through. It sounds like you guys are processing it well... trusting in His plan even when it isn't what you had hoped. He will be faithful to hold you close and lift you up. We worship Him when the sun is shining and we will worship Him through the storms!
    I will be praying for you guys.
    Love- Robin O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Regina, Eric & Malakia! We mourn together with you. We're thinking of you all and continue to pray for you through these times. May God bring you comfort and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean... Malakai! Here I am changing his name on you. Sorry ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2/17/2010

    Loss for words...
    I'm so sorry. Can't even begin to imagine the
    pain & dissapointment that are smeared all over your
    hearts and minds.
    Praying that God will cover you in the shelter of His wings as you find rest and peace for your aching souls.
    Much love~ Jen Showalter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2/18/2010

    Eric and Regina,
    I am so sorry to hear that you are enduring a trial that seems... well... maybe cruel. I will continue to pray that you will be embraced by the comfort and peace of the Lord. Jesus is weeping with you. His heart breaks for you. But, He is faithful, and His plan will prevail. Oh, how I just feel compassion for you! In prayer,
    Dawn Kurtz-
    (my husband is Josh Kurtz's cousin)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eric and Regina, you have no idea who I am, but I've been following your blog for a while. I will definitely be praying for you. May God make his face shine upon you.

    1"But now, this is what the LORD says—he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
    2 When you pass through the waters,I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." Isaiah 43:1-2

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2/22/2010

    Eric and Regina,

    I just want to let you know how very sorry I am that this adoption did not go through. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

    Tonya Fetterhoff

    ReplyDelete