2.25.2010

What's That Smell?

6:30am...I wake up, head over to the bathroom and think to myself, "Wow, that coffee smells really strong this morning in the kitchen!" I don't think anything is different from any other morning though. As I make my way down the steps I see it's snowing outside...again. I hear the washing machine running and lots of activity out in the laundry, which as most of us women know is unusual if we are not the ones loading the machines. I open the door and a very strong scent hits my nostrils. I wish you could smell through the internet, but alas...you will just have to imagine.

Our dear puppy dog, Gideon Ross went outside to take his usual morning pee. He immediately saw a bunny and was chasing it, nothing new. Eric shut the door and went back inside to start his routine of loading the woodstove with new logs for the day. When he opened the door to bring Gid back in, he realized something was terribly wrong. Quickly, he gathered that our dog was chasing more than a bunny. There was also a black and white "kitty" in the neighborhood. He had never met one of these cats before and we know they have been closely acquainted now.

Bless my dear husband for taking care of the rank smell. He was doing research on the internet on "How to get the smell of skunk out of your dog", found some baking soda, peroxide, tomato juice, etc. and went to town bathing his beloved, innocent companion. I only wish that the smell I first detected was indeed some strong coffee. So today, Gid will be spending some quality alone time in the garage. The scent is beyond just lighting a few candles and spraying some room freshener. He seems a bit confused as to why he got a bath and now can't be in the house. Friends of ours gave us some good "parenting advice" this past week. Their 5-year old son decided to give his 4-year old sister a "haircut"...need I say more. I asked them if they punished him and their response was one I won't forget. "Well, we never specifically told him that he wasn't supposed to cut his sister's hair, so we didn't feel like we could punish him." Gideon didn't know about skunks and their phenomenal fragrance so we can't be too mad at him. We'll let reality do the disciplining.

Thanks for the comic relief, Gid...you always know how to cheer me up!







4 comments:

  1. Poor Gideon! Thanks for the good laugh - I hope Eric is soon laughing also!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/25/2010

    Our dog Cody also got sprayed by a skunk when I was 8months pregnant w/Preston at 10:30 at night! Kenny brought him in the house and all of a sudden got a terrible odor! I called the the pet emergency and was told to use the same "shampoo" as you, and our dog also had to spend a couple of nights in the basement! I understand what you mean when you say the smell is way beyond candles! :) We did have a good laught that night, with Kenny in the driveway with gloves on up to his elbows washing Cody while I held the hose to spray him off.

    What would we do without our furry friends! They also know how to keep things interesting!

    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3/02/2010

    Oh my goodness, WORST SMELL EVER!!!! We just had a lab come into work that had gotten sprayed...my friend at work says she boils white vinegar in her house to get rid of the smell too(Her dog gets sprayed every couple months!)...Gideon looks like he's figured it out though; I think he'll stay away from skunks in the future!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny story. Monday morning I woke up to a strong smell. It smelled kind of like burning rubber. I searched the whole house sniffing. The smell seemed to be stronger in the basement. I called my landlord just to make sure there was not something actually burning. As we smelled together we realized it was not something burning but the smell of skunk filling my house! I actually thought of your story and had to smile. Those skunks have been busy lately! Luckily time and burning a bunch of candles cleared the smell out by the end of the day! We are thinking maybe the skunk sprayed near the house near the basement window and the smell just went right in and through the house!
    Anyways I hope you have a great day today Regina.
    Love ya,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete