9.05.2007

Codorus State Park

This past weekend, Labor Day weekend, Eric and I headed out for our annual camping trip. It's crazy how much more room is taken up just bringing Gideon along! Imagine what it will be like when we have several kids and a dog...definitely need an SUV! Well, we left on Friday night thinking it would only take a little over an hour to get there. Needless to say, things didn't go quite as smoothly as planned. We ended up getting lost (thank you, Mapquest) and made it there in two hours instead of one. So we get to our campsite and it's literally out in the middle of a big grass field. I guess when I made reservations I didn't know you had to specifically ask, "Is this campsite in the woods?" Seems like that would be a given, but nope. So, that was frustrating and to top it all off, we were unpacking things and getting ourselves set up and Eric looks at our camp stove and says, "Oh no!" "Don't even tell me we forgot the propane tank!" I said. Yes, sad to say, it was true. We had packed everything and the kitchen sink, but forgot the blasted propane tank to cook our food with. I was sure there would be a camp store with items in that people often forget, but there was no store and "town" was about a 20 minute drive away. So there I was zooming down back roads at dusk on the hunt for propane. Two stops later, tired, hungry, and a little out of sorts, I had what I needed. Now, it's a funny story to tell, but in the moment, there wasn't much laughter. After we got past all of that, the weekend was tons of fun and so relaxing for all of us. Eric enjoyed seeing Gideon retrieving so well from the water. He loves to be wet. We went hiking and had a picnic, read, made smores, and I even took my guitar along. There is something so refreshing about being out in God's creation. I feel like I can go back and face my "to do list" with a much better attitude when I am enjoying the great outdoors. Just wanted to share a few fun pictures from our time.