5.12.2008

Mother's Day

This year I celebrated my first Mother's Day with Eric and Malakai. It was such a special weekend for me. It was the last free one before I am booked pretty solid with weddings and other portrait shoots. Saturday, I was supposed to have a family photo shoot, but the weather didn't cooperate and we rescheduled. So the three of us walked downtown to Rachel's Crepery for breakfast. If you've never been there, use it as your next date idea. We LOVE her crepes. Then we walked a few more blocks down to Central Market. It was fun to see some of our friends who own different stands there. Eric wanted to get me some fresh cut flowers so Malakai and I stayed off to the side with our stroller so we didn't get run over by all of the people shopping for their moms.

Later on that afternoon we took Gideon along with us and went to Eric's parents' house for some Grandpa/Grandma time. Gideon found the pond right away and was fetching his bumper over and over and over. Grandma Martin put Malakai in the Ergo Carrier (which was her gift to us) and went out in her garden to cut some lettuce for me. They always look forward to our visits.

Sunday morning, Eric gave me a Willow Tree figurine of a woman holding a little boy. It really does look like Malakai and me. The little boy even has darker skin than the woman. I melt every time I look at it. He also gave me a card that had Malakai's little hands on them. He traced them on a piece of paper and then cut them out. Who's creative now? It gets even better. He made me a short dvd of some of the video footage we've been taking over the past several weeks. It was all set to music too. Heather Clark, a worship leader from Canada sings this song called "Grafted In". It says right in the middle of the song, "You are no longer an orphan...you are grafted in." That is Malakai's song. What a treasure.

Eric made salmon on the grill and even did the dishes! What a great husband I have. My aunt and uncle from Oregon were visiting PA and came in Sunday afternoon with my parents. They were enjoying the uniqueness of our city home. They live on a farm out in the country. Grandpa and Grandma Landis enjoyed time with their grandson again too.

I felt so blessed and honored as a mother. A few close friends of mine even sent me Mother's Day cards. It was a great celebration for me. I waited a long time to be a participant of this special day. Finally...the wait is over and I can hold my son in my arms forever. Praise the LORD!