9.03.2008

One Life To Love

Today the LORD used a lot of different things to get my attention. And my heart was listening, really listening. I was talking with a friend of mine who shared with me about a 14-year old girl she knew of that just had an abortion. This is especially hard to hear when having biological children has not come easy for us. My eyes filled with tears as I watched Malakai crawling on our kitchen floor where the two of us ate breakfast together and thought of his birthmother possibly destroying his life simply because it might have been an inconvenience for her. She really was selfless in giving him life and then choosing Eric and I to be his parents. Her choice still amazes me. So today, I am extra thankful for my little 21 pound, dark-skinned, 8 month old son. He is a miracle in so many ways. I am beyond blessed to be his Mama.

Later on, I went to get my hair cut, which is now a new favorite event that happens four times a year (when the season changes) and afterwards I was driving around in the car doing some errands while my wonderful 70-something neighbor, Esther was watching Malakai. I had the radio on and this song caught my attention. "You've only got one life to love," was the chorus. It was about this man who was looking back at his life and saying how he wished he would've worked less behind his desk and spent more time loving on his wife and children. Sometimes in the busyness I find myself in, I miss the simple pleasures of just watching my son grow up and spending evenings at home with my husband. At the end of my life, I want people, and especially my family, to know that I love them deeply, more than anything else. Today I was challenged to slow down and love life again. I am so thankful for the ways that God reminds me how life is so precious and is a vapor...at best, but a vapor.

Eric, your love is more wonderful than the day is long. My desire is that our love continues to be strengthened with each passing year. And Malakai, my heart is expanding with love for you as I get to know you more and more each day. You are such a treasure. My life is forever changed knowing you.