12.03.2011

Overflowing

They are as different as their color of skin. Night and day. Apples and oranges. Black and white. Literally. As a photographer, it's important to have some loose expectations of how I want my photo sessions to go...until you work with your own kids. Time to check your expectations at the door and enjoy the ride.

Malakai has always loved (and I do mean LOVED) having photo sessions with me. He woke up on Friday morning asking, "Mommy, is it time to take pictures yet?" I had mentioned it the day before. This morning I looked at some of the images I captured yesterday of him, and literally starting weeping. His spirit just jumps out at me in every image. I don't have to coax him to smile with his eyes. It's all real. Here is one of my (30+) favorites. The rest will have to wait until I post them for his birthday coming up very soon...


And then there is Mr. I'm Not Interested In Doing Anything You Want Me To. I know from experience that 1-year portrait sessions are probably the hardest thing on earth. The almost walking, teething, goldfish-hungry, not-sure-what-to-do-with-myself stage is a blast to capture, right?! He's a good mixture of both Eric and I. And cute, but never on command :) Another favorite image with more to follow on his upcoming birthday.


So I celebrate my boys and ask the LORD for wisdom in knowing how to mother both of them. One needing different things than the other. Isn't that every mother's prayer? I am thankful for their similarities and their stark differences. I remember last year sending out our Christmas cards that said, "Wishing you joy unspeakable this Christmas and always". I was pregnant with Isaac and full of so much anticipation of all that was to come. This year, my heart is literally full to overflowing (tears to prove it) as I consider all that the LORD has given to Eric and I as we have prayed for children.

As I walk with women who are still believing for children who have yet to be conceived, or have lost children in the womb, or have a child and are believing for #2 or #3, I realize the gift of the four little feet that need socks, the two mouths that need wiped, the two hats and coats that need zippered, etc. I am thankful for the naps needed, the same books that we read 20 times a week, the swings that we push, the questions that need answered. The gift of children. The gift of life. Malakai and Isaac...my love knows no end for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment