8.25.2011

Criss Cross Applesauce

Canning. It's not for the faint of heart. I've used that line quite a bit over the last few weeks. The older I get, the more I appreciate homemade applesauce, peaches, tomatoes, etc. The process is quite complex and the goal is to get everything to seal so you can enjoy it over the winter months. So far, I've had a 95% success rate. Applesauce is worth the effort, but there are always moments where I want to rip my hair out and say, "Just forget it! I'll buy Mott's." But I don't really mean it. I can't even stomach store bought applesauce. Yes, there were times where I just threw my head back and laughed. And then I felt much better and could continue on...cooking, cutting, cranking, filling, sealing, carrying, stirring, washing.

So, to make sure I never forget all the fun parts, I took some pictures of our very long day yesterday. At the end, we came up with 63 quarts of golden goodness. Only a few didn't seal, so I ended up freezing those few quarts. My family will be thankful this winter. Mom, thanks for giving of your time and expertise. I really wouldn't and couldn't do any of these processes (peaches, tomatoes, corn, green beans, jelly, pickles, etc.) without you. The art of canning is passed down from generation to generation and we all have our own way of accomplishing the same thing in the end. Summertime goodness year-round.
















1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious Regina :) I have to get another bushel or so of apples to make some more sauce!

    ReplyDelete