8.08.2008

Carl - 8.7.08

Last night I braved a thunderstorm during a senior portrait session. It got windy and rained for a little bit but the sun came out pretty quickly afterwards. I have to admit that I am a scardy cat when it comes to storms...bad memories of our neighbor's barn getting struck by lightning and my dad running through the fields in the middle of the night to help get the animals and equipment out. We couldn't have been at a safer spot...the Mount Joy Fire Dept. Carl volunteered here over the past year and wanted some shots with his gear on. I know nothing about firetrucks or the heavy gear all the firefighters have to wear but I sure learned a lot. I asked Carl if he gets scared going into fires, "No, it's fun!" was his answer. Well, better him than me! Afterwards we went over to his house (which happens to be about 5 seconds from the firehouse...how convenient) for some shots in his back yard. We were just finishing up and the fire alarm sounded. "I gotta go, I missed the last one, but I'm going on this one!" And just like that he was sprinting toward the fire department...off to rescue someone in distress. I actually drove past the truck he was on, parked at a house a few minutes later on my way to my in-laws to pick up Eric, Malakai, and Gideon. It's crazy how everything can change in an instant. One minute, posing for the camera, the next...all geared up ready to save someone from the flames. Carl, I enjoyed getting to know you in the hour that I had with you. I can tell your heart is big and full of love for people. Blessings as you leave for college next week...enjoy this new season of life.